I’ve been making badges and hairclips from craft foam today. It is a quick and easy way to make a unique accessory which shows the kind of things I like, for example videogames and manga. I thought I’d write a tutorial in case anyone else wanted to try it. These are good for cosplay and everyday wear.
- Craft foam sheets – I got mine from The Range, A5 size, 40 sheets in different colours for £2.99.
- Cold glue gun – again from The Range, £6.99 plus £1.99 for 12 refills.
- Scissors and/or Craft Knife and Cutting Board.
- To make hairclips – Hairclips (mine were 6 for £1 from Wilkinsons), embroidery thread and needle, and small pieces of felt sheet.
- To make badges – I used some left over blanks from a broken old Badge-It machine.
- Ideas and a pencil and paper!
Step 1: Draw your idea with pencil and paper. Research online or on DVD, book covers etc. This example is the symbol from Fairy Tail. When you are happy with your picture (make sure it’s the size you want) copy it onto a sheet of craft foam and use scissors or a craft knife to cut it out.
Step 2: Your shape will likely be quite flimsy on its own so reinforce it with a contrasting background. Choose another sheet of craft foam and cut out a background.
Step 3: Carefully follow the instructions on your glue gun and stick the two pieces together.
Step 4: Attach a hairclip or badge to the back.
FOR HAIRCLIPS: I found that the metal hairclip didn’t glue well to the craft foam so I used embroidery thread to sew the clip to a piece of felt, then glue the felt to the craft foam. Make sure to check it is facing the right way if you prefer to wear clips on one side.
FOR BADGES: I used leftover blanks from an old broken Badge-It. I filled the back of the badge with a couple of layers of craft foam and made sure they were all glued securely together.
Below are a couple more examples that I made today, a pokeball hairclip and a Korosensei badge to which I added a small tassle, with a bit of fabric paint to define the teeth:
This is a really easy project and I hope somebody else finds my tutorial useful to make something perfect for them! :3